The training of voluntary health workers is important for any programme directed at the general public. It should include initiatives specifically concerned with disaster-preparedness. Below are a few examples of the tasks which voluntary health workers can be trained to take over in an emergency:
· collaboration in first aid,
· reception of cases at the health facility,
· liaison with the family groupings,
· operation of the health information system,
· collaboration in carrying out programmes of vaccinations, health education, environmental sanitation, nutrition, mental health, groups at risk, etc.