Health Seminars & Talks
All our Health Seminar's and talks are free - please do come - you will enjoy them !
Dr. Jennie Mendes
MA, DHE, MPhil, PhD
Phone No. :23512560 and 23512642
Her main interests are Clinical Psychology, World Cinema and the Theory of Indian Classical Dance with special reference to Kathak. M.Phil Dissertation: A Study on the "Initiation of Flight Activity in Drosophila melanogaster - An Experimental Approach to Animal Behaviour” Doctoral Thesis: "The Phenomenology, Etiology and the Possible Clinical Significance of Certain Stereotypies.” She has published 31 research articles and 13 popular articles. She has completed 4 research projects and has presented 25 papers at national and international conferences. She has translated and standardized a Stigma Scale for Mental Illness for the Konkani-speaking population. She has edited the book: "Readings in Psychology: Enhancing Human Potential” (Allied Publishers, 2006). She is in-charge of the Sophia J. N. Heredia Counselling Centre. She is the Managing Editor of the "Bombay Psychologist”-A Journal of the Bombay Psychological Association. She has initiated the CUE-MH (Collaborative Undergraduate Education in Mental Health) to create hubs and notes in different parts of the country for action research.
- Lobo Dubey Memorial Scholarship 2014-15. Developing protocols for healthy interpersonal communication between women caregivers and their mentally ill relatives
- Dr (Mrs) Barbra Naidu Memorial Scholarship 2012-13"Counseling undergraduate students Case study of the Sophia J.N.HerediaCounseling centre
- Minor Research Grant- University of Mumbai (2011): A Qualitative approach on the phenomenology of Caretaking
- Smt.Dhandevi Mahindra Scholarship award 2010-2011: Konkani translation, cultural adaptation and testing of the Stigma-Devaluation Scale (SDS) for caregiver relatives of the mentally ill in Goa.
- Rotary Club of Bombay midtown – Smt.Sumitradevi Jatia Research award for 2009-2010: Evaluation of the courtesan genre of Kathak in Hindi films
Recent Research paper presentations
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the 5th International conference on Life Skills education Trivandrum Kerala. 2013. Recovery through the spoken word-Carer communication skills ISBN-978-93-83842-13-1 pps 355-370
- Poster presented at The 2nd International Psychology conference, Family at the Crossroads 21st century, 1-3 Dec 2013 Mumbai- Family welfare a private concern? Comparing Goa, Maharashtra and Finland
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the 4th International conference on Life Skills education 7-9 Dec 2012 Mumbai Patchwork Quilt: Preliminary observations on Sleep patterns and problems among adolescents pp404-410 ISBN 978-93-83842-13
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings National Seminar on Adolescence: A journey from conflict to integration (2011)St Xavier’s College Goa. Boredom Interest continuum in the adolescent: A Cognitive model (2011).Pgs. 86-91
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the conference on Women Empowerment: Changing Perspectives in changing times at St Xavier’s College Mapusa Goa (2011).. The stressors and mental health concerns of young women: Case study of a Counseling centre in an urban women’s college.
- Paper presented at the National Seminar on Women and Tourism. MES College Vasco Goa (2011) Thin….spiration: Female body idioms
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the National conference on Employee wellbeing – Current trends and future prospects. Abbe Faria PG Dept of Psychology, St Xavier’s College Goa (2010) Sept 21-22. Between Spaces: The work world of the mentally disabled
- Paper presented at the International Conference on Women Education for Empowerment Feb 5-6 2010 Pondicherry A preliminary analysis of the history of perception of women in the courtesan genre of Kathak in Hindi films
- Paper presented at the International Conference on Women Education for Empowerment Feb 5-6 2010 Pondicherry Women in the Indian Navy: Status and job satisfaction
Research papers published in Journals
- Music cognition: Preliminary observations on the aesthetic simplicity of the lullaby (2013) Indian Journal of health and wellbeing 4(3) pp653-659.
- Mental health concerns of young women: Working model of a Counseling centre in an urban women’s college. (2013) Indian Journal of health and wellbeing 4(3) pp553-555
- Editorial: Mental health in the time of social network analysis Bombay Psychologist (2013) Vol XXVIII No 1&2 pp3-4 Stigma Devaluation Scale: for caregivers of the mentally ill in Goa:Konkani translation(Roman script) and cultural adaptation. (2012) Vol2 Issue2 Indian Journal of Health and Wellbeing pp 2229-5356
- Cultural adaptation of the SDS: A Konkani Translation for caregiver relatives of the mentally ill(2012) Bombay Psychologist -Vol XXVI, 1&2 pp14-18
- Chapter in the book: Women in the Indian Navy: Status and job satisfaction. In Women education for empowerment Published by Immaculate Conception college of education. Pondicherry 2011
- Editorial: Challenges AheadChallenges Ahead Bombay Psychologist (2012) Vol XXVII No 1&2 pp 3-5
- Intimacy in Cyberspace: preliminary investigations (2011) Bombay Psychologist Vol XXVI, 1&2 pp70-73
- Leg shaking in the visually impaired: A Naturalistic observation (2011)Indian Journal of Health and wellbeing 2(5) pp 1097-1100
- Hormones and Motor stereotypy: Preliminary observations (2010).Bombay Psychologist Vol,XXIV No 1&2 pp 33-36.
- Leg shaking: A Pedigree Analysis (2010). Bombay Psychologist Vol,XXIV No 1 pp 1-8.
- The Assessment of Obsessive Compulsive Phenomena: Psychometric and Normative data on the Padua Inventory from an Indian nonclinical student sample (2010) Bombay Psychologist XXIII pp13 -21