( By Dr. S. R. Jindal )
Nature Cure Treatment Methods
- Fill the enema cane with lukewarm water and smear nozzle with oil or vaseline.
- Lie on the right, extending the right leg and folding the left leg at a right angle. Introduce nozzle in the rectum and raise the cane to a height of 3". The water enters the rectum.
- Retain water for 5-10 minutes.
- Air to be removed from tube by letting some water flow out.
- In case of pain in the abdomen during enema,lower the cane until pain subsides.
Mud Pack :
- Place the cleaned, soaked mud on a muslin cloth and prepare a pack of 10" (length ) X 6" (breadth ) X 1" (thickness).
- Place on the abdomen for 15 minutes.
Towel Pack (Abdominal cold compress) - A substitute for mud pack.
- Dip a medium sized towel in cold water and wring out.
- Fold the towel 4 times to a size of 12 - 14" (length) X 10" (width).
- Place this on the abdomen and cover it with a dry towel for 20 minutes.
- Note : Ice water may be used in summer.
- Hip Bath is given at cold, hot, neutral and alternate ( hot & cold ) temperatures in a special tub.
Cold hip bath :
- Use cold tap water.
- The level of water should be such that it covers the hips and reaches the navel while sitting in the tub. Rest of the body remains dry. Footwear to be worn.
- Gently rub the abdomen in a clockwise direction with a moderately coarse wet cloth. Duration is 15 minutes.
- After the hip bath, do Yoga / walking. If weak,lie in bed covered with blanket.
Hot hip Bath :
- Use hot water at 40 deg. C., gradually raise it to 45 deg. C.
- Drink 2 glasses of cold water, apply a cold pack on the head.
- Sit in the tub like in cold hip bath but no rubbing of abdomen. Duration : 10 mts.
- A cold shower immediately after the bath.
Neutral hip bath :
- Water temperature 32-36 deg. C.
- All other steps are as of hot hip bath but no shower after treatment. Duration : 15 mts.
Alternate hip bath :
- Hot water (40-45 deg.C) and cold water ( 18-24 deg C) in two separate tubs.
- Drink water and apply cold compress on head before treatment.
- Two variations :
- Sit in hot tub for 5 mts, cold for 5 mts.
- Hot for 3 mts., cold for 1 mt., repeat 4 to 5 times, ending with cold water dash to hips.
Kidney Pack :
- Place hot water bag to cover middle to lower back. Apply ice bag to cover lower part of the chest bone and stomach. Wrap a dry cotton /khadi cloth and flannel over this.
- Duration : 45 mts - 1 hour.
- GH pack : is the reverse application of kidney pack.
Chest Pack :
- Dip a cotton cloth in cold water and then wring out the excess water.
- Place the cloth on the back, bring forward the two ends under armpits on each side.
- Cross the right end over the left shoulder and left over the right shoulder.
- Both are against crossed at the back and the ends are brought to front under the armpits and tucked.
- Cover this with dry cloth and then the flannel.
- Duration : 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Dip a cotton cloth in cold water, wring out.
- Wrap the wet cloth around the abdomen from lower part of the ribs to the groin.
- Wrap the dry cloth and the flannel ( see chest pack photo). Duration : 45 minutes to 1 hour.Other packs like throat pack, join packs etc. are used in the same way over the respective part.
Wet Girdle Pack
- Dip one thin cotton underwear in cold water,wear it after wringing out.
- Wear dry thick underwear over this.
- Duration : 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Hot and Cold Alternate Compress on Abdomen
- Two pieces of khadi or towel-type cloths are required.
- Soak one piece in warm water, wring out.
- Keep it on the abdomen and place a hot water bag on it to maintain temperature. Duration 3 minutes.
- Follow it up with cloth soaked in cold water and wrung out for one minute.
- Repeat the process 3 times. In the last application, apply 3 minutes of cold compress instead of one minutes.
- Note : In summer, ice water or water stored in earthen jars overnight could be used.
- Hot water bag or cotton cloth dipped in hot water and wrung out may be used. If hot water bag is being used, cover the area of application with cold compress.
- Apply fomentation for 5-7 minutes.
- Follow it up with cold compress for 2 minutes and cover with dry cloth for 30 minutes.
- The water temperature should be bearable.
- Take care not to damage the skin by overdoing.
- Avoid on heart, head and seat of active inflammation. In case of pregnancy, avoid over the abdomen.
- Drink a glass of cold water, place cold compress on head.
- Immerse legs in a tub or bucket filled with hot water ( 40 - 45 deg C.) . Wrap blanket from shoulders, covering the whole body.
- Maintain water temperature by adding hot/cold water. Duration 15 minutes.
- Cold shower to be taken immediately after the treatment.
Hot foot and Arm bath
- Wash basin filled with hot water is used for immersing the arms along with the foot bath (legs in hot water bucket).
- Rest of the procedure is same as for foot bath.
- Gingely or olive oil is used by the masseur.
- Different movements (percussion, friction,kneading, stroking, vibrations ) are used where each part of the body gets the appropriate application.
- If possible, massage may be followed by a sun bath. Hot water bath is to be taken.